The premier S.E. Shires B-flat trumpet, the Destino III has developed through a close collaboration with Doc Severinsen over several years. The Destino III includes several specific design elements not found on other S.E. Shires trumpets. As might be expected, it works outstandingly for jazz and for commercial/popular music. It has also become popular among discriminating classical trumpet players, who find it useful for everything from solo literature to large orchestral works.
Doc Severinsen has poured a lifetime of experience—and countless hours of experimentation, research, and development at the S.E. Shires factory—into achieving the incredible balance of components that make up the Destino III. The custom leadpipe and unbraced, semi-round tuning slide provide an open, but efficient blow, "right down center." They balance the standard weight Doc bell taper perfectly. Nickel-silver balusters add brilliance and character to the sound. Narrow bracing contributes to the instrument's superlative response, cleanness, and ease of attack. Powerful and full in the upper and middle registers, this instrument also boasts a surprisingly beefy low register. And despite its potential for power, the Destino III's lightweight front end and efficient venturi make it capable of incredible delicacy. The Doc Severinsen Destino III unlocks an unbelievably broad spectrum of nuance and color for any player.
- Bore: .459
- Doc Severinsen Bell: 4.75 inch, one piece, hand hammered custom Doc Severinsen taper in standard weight brass with traditionally brazed (side) seam, French bead, and dual-radius bend
- Doc Leadpipe: .345-inch venturi, lightweight yellow brass—open, flexible and projecting, yet remarkably efficient
- C Tuning Slide: unbraced, semi round, dual-radius bend with heavy crook, standard water key—flexible, responsive and malleable at low dynamics, powerful and bold at full volume
- Piston Material: hand-lapped Monel
- Valve Cluster: two-piece casings, lightweight, with nickel-silver balusters; short bracing between the bell and valve cluster, the valve cluster and leadpipe.
- Bell Engraving: Doc Severinsen Destino III custom engraving
- Features: custom lightweight slides with heavyweight crooks, 1st-valve slide harmonic balancer (removable weight in the crook), 3rd-valve slide water key
- Finish: silver plate